Saturday, February 6, 2010

A call for more...


Since my last post I have been inundated with requests for more posts. I received one, from my girlfriend. Nevertheless, it still counts so I'm pouncing on it.
I like going to new places and even have a 3 month trip to Asia planned for the beginning of May which was one of the main motivations for my adding to the clutter of cyberspace. Recently, I went to England and Scotland to visit a few friends, and I know it doesn't count as travel because it's where I'm from, it's still dif
ferent from where I live and I had to get on a plane, so there.
Visiting my sister in London I took a picture of the filaments in some light bulbs. Gripping stuff I know, but I thought they were pretty stylish as far as filaments go.


Ok so it's not fantastic, but I like the minimalist look it has, it's just the bulbs and nothing else. Can't argue with that. This was taken on Aristacolour 100 film which I loaded myself into reusable cassettes. Being thrifty I've taken to this habit as it brings the price of film right down to around $2, which is quite good all things considered. Following this I wound my way South to stay with some friends in Salisbury. I say 'wound my way down' as it propagates the image I have of myself as a traveller much wearied by long days on the road. In reality I took the train from Waterloo to Salisbury where I was met by my friend Matt.

The unprecedented snow in England, that had caused huge upsets and logistical problems without managing to completely cover the grass in a field, gave an uncharacteristically bleak look to the normally pleasant English country side.


See what I mean? This gave rise to many a witty remark about the recently released film of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. On 'Pepperbox Hill', which is far too steep for tobogganing in case you were wondering, the pepperbox itself made for a welcome change from the dirty snow everywhere. This was mostly because it was red.



Following this epic excursion into the unknown we retreated to lick our wounds, play guitar and dry our socks on the aga. Pasttime of many a seasoned traveller, obviously.



Following my foray into the darkest depths of Southern England I took another plane, so again it counts, to Glasgow to see my friends Tom and Sam who happen to be identical twins. That's right, there's nothing more interesting to say about them than that they share genes more than most. I'd never been to Scotland before so that was a good experience. Having been there I feel Glasgow gets a bit of a bad press as it's often thought of as some sort of modern day Gomorra. However this is probably welcomed a bit by its inhabitants who like to feel they're a bit more hard core than most when really it's just your normal city in that respect. In other ways it's abnormal. It has some pretty impressive sights and a lot of the buildings are most certainly worth a butchers. Given the chance I'd suggest you go there at once, particularly if you're into the bohemian side of things as it seems to be a bit of a hub for creativity. It gets dark at about 4pm so obviously something's needed to pass the long winter evenings. Taking this into account I rarely saw the city by daylight but made the most of the city's unique nightlife.
Twas nothing short of a joy to stay in the twins apartment which was pretty bohemian in its styling, as previously hinted at.

See how they're nearly identical!? It's uncanny.




The other two shots are meant to show the bohemian-ness of their apartment, though I'm not sure to what extent this is achieved really. They're stairs and a silhouette.

Following this, and an unmitigated cock up that led to me missing my flight courtesy of the moronic bus station advice chap, I arrived back in London for a night before catching my flight back to Basel. "What an adventure!" I hear you breathe. Yes friends, what an adventure. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment